Sunday, March 4, 2012

COLLECT WHAT YOU LOVE

After last week's blog, I received an e-mail from a reader asking what type of art I collect. I have to admit I collect quite a variety of artwork. I truly believe in collecting pieces that you love. I don't adhere to art matching the decor of a room and I never think about where I will place a piece in the house until I get it home. If I like a piece of art, I will find a place for it.

Mountain painting by Jean Watkins. Jean and I used to have studios next to each other and this painting kept grabbing my eye. When I found myself still eyeing it a month later I made the purchase. I love the abstract feel of this and it looks perfect in the hallway of our mountain home.

Woody Higgin's "Quasimodo, Hunchback of Notre Dame" caught my attention right away. It was centered in a gallery with a few of his other works. The gothic feel, the various mouldings used, one of the little figures on the side bent over like Quasimodo, and the door that opens made me have to have this. This piece sits on a chest in our main hallway.

Linda Persons makes these wonderful ceramic horses. They come in various sizes. I love the form of these, the smaller head and long legs, and the little marks near the hooves as if the horse's hair is falling over them. It greets visitors as they enter the living area of the house.

Jim Waters creates encaustic work. I love this for so many reasons. The geometric shapes, the stripes, and the texture of the wax. The three pieces allow for a variety of ways for hanging, allowing one to mix it up once in a while. Beautiful and fun. This piece resides in the sitting area of the master bedroom.

I met Virginia McKinney at the Southern Highland Craft Show in Asheville. Her adobe dwellings kept me in her booth for quite a while. Love the way there is an opening in this piece, creating an aura of mystery. The ladder really invites you to come on in and enjoy. This piece reminds me of the trip my husband and I took out west and fits perfect on one of the timbers in our living area.

Collecting is such a joy and tells people a little bit about you. Enjoy whatever items you collect, buy what you truly love to add to your collection and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment