Sunday, March 11, 2012

WORKS JURIED INTO "THE CUTTING EDGE"

I am pleased to be a part of an upcoming fiber art show in Asheville, NC. Desert Moon Designs Gallery is presenting "The Cutting Edge: The Language of Textiles and Fiber Art" from April 4 - May 5, 2012 with an artist reception from 5-8 pm on April 14. This particular show caught my attention as the call for artists encouraged the use of non-traditional materials and techniques with the primary material being fiber. The show is also looking at what a piece of fiber art says about the artist.

"Diamond Road"  Lori LaBerge  2012

When I create a piece I need to see a reason for it to be done in fiber, otherwise the drawn design sits in a work file and never gets transferred to backing fabric. I love to see how the textures and colors add to the meaning of a piece and how other materials can be blended into a fiber design in a complimentary fashion.

"Free Passage"  Lori LaBerge  2012

Rug hooking is not a widely shown medium and I enjoy peoples' reactions when they see it in a contemporary venue. The call for this show came at a great time as I have not yet shown any of my mixed-media pieces outside of my own studio and this blog. It is always a little scary when you change your work and veer into new territory. An artist is never quite sure how previous collectors will react and how people new to the artist's work will receive it. It is always encouraging to have new work juried into a show and I look forward to seeing other fiber artists' work there and having the chance to converse with them.

Take chances, believe in yourself and your art and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment