Sunday, June 24, 2012

TWO MIXED-MEDIA PIECES COMPLETED

"Locked Into My Quiet Time"   Lori LaBerge  2012

"Locked Into My Quiet Time", shown in progress in last week's blog, has been completed. I added upholstery tacks on the sides and two corner brackets at the bottom with twine stretched between them.

Last week, I had mentioned possibly adding some stones. When I spotted the two corner brackets in my box of salvage parts, it gave me the idea to place a section of twine between them to represent a barrier against outside interruptions. Sometimes we just need to block out others and take time for ourselves. I would still like to use stones in the future, but they would not have worked well with this piece.


The salvaged handle and latch, shown above, before being permanently set into a new work  surprised me as they were not meant to go together, yet fit perfectly. When I grabbed them from my salvage box and noticed this, I knew they would be going into my next piece, "Freedom to Come and Go".  The latch was set in place so it can be displayed placed into the handle or left open.

"Freedom to Come and Go"  Lori LaBerge  2012 framed with latch closed

"Freedom to Come and Go"  Lori LaBerge 2012 framed with latch open

The washers and upholstery tacks were placed in a curve to give a sense of whimsy and spontaneity, two types of behavior that fit well with the idea of freedom.

Enjoy your freedom, kick up your heels, try something on a whim and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment