Saturday, November 10, 2012

GETTING READY FOR SHOW TIME


Time seems to be going by fast and it is only a week and a half until the Carolina Designer Craftsmen Show in Raleigh, N.C.  There will be clay, jewelry, metal, wood and, of course, fiber artists displaying their new work.  I am now in the process of finishing up some pieces and reconfiguring my usual booth set-up as I will have a corner booth this year.  Here is the weekly run-down of preparation so far:

"Not Like the Others" was hooked a while ago, but I could not quite put my finger on why I was not happy with it.  I finally replaced the outline on the three similar figures with a darker textured gold and it made all the difference in the world.  I love this piece now.  The gold wood backing and frame make a  great finish.  I also attached two lock plates on the sides of the work.

"Deception of Beauty" received a whipped edge this week.  During the work process, I often hook multiple pieces at a time and then whip the edges on them later.

The new shelving for my ProPanel booth set-up arrived this past week.  These were needed to display the rock rugs and table rugs made for the show.  I have been using ProPanels for a while now and love them.  They are easy to set up and give a professional look to a display.  This past year they have offered new products to their line such as lighting and adjustable stiffeners for holding the top of the panels together.

Here is the process of setting up.  I am doing the set-up down in the rec room of the house so when I arrive at the show I will know exactly where everything goes and set-up there will be easier.  One of the four new shelves is attached.  The shelves have to be attached before the walls are put together.  (I learned this the hard way!) The ladder is necessary as I have the eight foot walls.

All the walls and lighting are up now.  The area on the right side will be partially open (only two wall sections up) as it will face an aisle way and I want open space for people to view the booth from.

A view of how the new shelving looks with work displayed.  

I still have some work to do, but this is where I ended this week.  The open area in the back will have a curtain over it and will be used to place items needed during the show such as receipt books, tool box, extra lights, etc.  The new configuration seems to be working well and is probably the one I will use for the show.  The convenience of Propanels lets you change things around quite easily so you can play with the design before shows. 

This seems to be a busy time of year for everyone.  I have been trying to take a break once in a while and usually read a magazine related to art or decor during that time.  Make sure to give yourself the breaks you deserve and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment