Saturday, December 22, 2012

'BLUE ROAD' IN PROGRESS, MAGAZINES I LOVE


With wrapping gifts and preparing for holiday visitors, work is slowing down.  I did manage to get some more hooking done on "Blue Road", which was started last week.

"Blue Road" in progress,  Lori LaBerge  2012

The center area was adjusted with a darker blue added to contrast with the lighter blues.  This area is a depiction of a traveled path, starting inward and working its way out as the nomadic people start at one place and travel to another.  The mix of shades within each color are working out as planned, adding interest to each section.  The drawn design is off as when I started hooking I decided to change the plan for each section to a slightly more diamond shape rather than square.

As Wednesday was my birthday, I took the day off.  The first thing I did was watch the construction on the studio.

The bottom superior walls are up along with the start of the far wall which will be on the workshop side.  We also picked out windows this week.

The second thing I did is one of my favorite things, read a magazine.  I admit I am somewhat of a magazine junkie.  I was in heaven grabbing a glass of wine, gathering my favorite blanket, parking myself on the couch, and reading all afternoon.  A beautiful day!  Here are a few of my favorites (there are many more I will mention in future posts):


When Fiberarts Magazine stopped publishing, I was almost in tears.  Along came Fiber Art Now, and I was happy again.  This is a great publication and to my surprise has often included photos of rug hooked work.  In this issue, a work by Linda Friedman Schmidt was in the reader showcase section.  The major focus is on contemporary work.  Articles in this issue included info. on exhibitions, fiber arts in Spain, and work of various artists (loved how in the article on Jill Powers, she described her studio as a laboratory where she experiments).  I can barely wait to go to my laboratory tomorrow!  This is a must read for fiber artists interested in experimentation and contemporary work.


American Art Collector showcases some amazing painters.  Why am I interested in a magazine that shows mainly realistic work when I do textile and abstract pieces?  I believe all art starts with the drawing process.  The more you practice drawing and realistic work, the better all your other work will become.  I also enjoy the way compositions are put together, especially the ones that verge on fantasy art, with something unexpected popping up in the artwork.  In essence, this magazine is a visual feast for all interested in art.


Surface Design is a magazine where you find the artists who are really pushing the limits in the textile field.  I just love the creativity this magazine covers.  There is 2-D, 3-D and installation art included.  There are great interviews and the writing is hard to beat.  In this issue, one of rug hooker Liz Alpert Fay's  (who is doing some pretty cool tree pieces right now) works was included in the Exposure section.  All aspects of textiles are pretty much covered here.  To receive this magazine, you must join the Surface Design Association.  You can check out their site here.

Grab your favorite magazine before the holiday rush, enjoy some quiet time and have a great day.  And...

From our house to yours, Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment