Saturday, January 26, 2013

"BLUE ROAD" IN FINAL STAGES, LEE KRASNER BOOK, JOURNAL ACTIVITY

"Blue Road", 18 X 18, Lori LaBerge  2012

I have been jumping around working on various pieces.  Some, already in progress, were put aside in order to have time to create a few more works for the PAF Gallery showing March 15th and 16th.  The past week included some of the finishing work on "Blue Road". 

The metal and wood parts were placed and I created two tassels.  When researching nomadic clothing and bags, I noticed an extensive use of tassels.  I could not find any information on the meaning these may have had and will continue to try to find out more about them.  Their addition completed the piece and added to its story.  All that is left now is the final labeling, framing and wiring. 

After a day of work, I love to read at night.  With the snow falling outside, I decided to curl up in bed with a hot chocolate and a good book.  This was my choice:


The book interested me as Lee Krasner was an artist in her own right, painting abstract work before she met Jackson Pollock.  I've only read the first chapter and am glued to the pages.  My favorite part of artist biographies is learning the artist's approach to work and thoughts about that approach.  I find it unfortunate that when I minored in Art History in college there were very few women artists whom we studied.

The journal activity for the week was a different take on brain-storming.  I wanted to take some time to discover how I thought about fiber art and what words I associated with it.  I decided to rip two pages out of a book (any book will do).  I happened to find an old history book from high school.  I then took colored pencils and x'd out words that I felt were not associated with textiles or fiber.  I chose the x as it resembles stitching.

    
The words left after marking others out were then written around the page.  It was interesting that while working with the first page I only filled half a page of background while I filled the whole of the second page of the journal.  I went back after finishing the second and looked for words on the first page I may have missed. Through this process I completed the first journal page.  

Close-up of page

Some of the words I found were: strong, lofty, custom, fringed, cloak, adorned, native, arts, curiosity and time.  The more I worked the process, the more I stretched how words could be associated with textile and fiber work.  When returning to the first page, I found I had missed words such as wander, forward, irregular, becomes and reunite. Why did I now accept these words?  I began to think in a new way:  one can use fiber in a wandering motion, want the fiber arts to move forward, see the uniqueness of irregularities, make plain fabric become beautiful and tear fabric apart to reunite it in a new way.

Look at the words you read in a new way, relate them to your art, hobby, or life and have a great day.

Note--No news on the studio update, weather is really holding things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment