Saturday, April 6, 2013

NEW WORK IN ROAD SERIES, TOURING ARTIST STUDIOS AND GALLERIES

The third piece in the road series project was hooked this week.  I normally veer toward yellow-greens, but lately I have been trying to go outside of my normal color use so I chose a piece of wool I had dyed emerald and mint green.  To my surprise I found that Pantone, the authority on color, has made emerald green the color of the year for 2013.  Go here to see Pantone's page and slide show on the color emerald. 


"Time to Go"  14 X 14  Lori LaBerge  2013

"Time to Go"  depicts a main roadway in green and various routes in white.  The background represents u-turns with the thought of coming and going.  A washer was attached to represent a clock while the fishing sinker below represents a pendulum. It seems like it is always time to go somewhere, whether shopping, picking up kids, a long country ride, vacation or other destination.  I definitely see an influence from Josef Albers Homage to the Square series, which I love. 

Yesterday, it was time for me to go to the PAF Gallery and take down my exhibit. Three weeks goes by so fast, it seems I was just there setting it up and teaching a class. My journal activity this week was to check out some of Siler City's artists.

Johnny Glaze, a potter and metal worker with a studio at the Incubator, was at my opening and I really enjoyed discussing ideas with him.

Here are a few of Johnny's works.  I love the texture in the larger piece, it makes you want to touch it.  That small piece on the right is pretty much how I look when I have to get up early in the morning.  Love all the little characters he creates.

Here are some more pieces with great texture.  Look at all the shapes he incorporates into each piece.  Simply wonderful!


Karen Stack, who participated in my beginning rug hooking class, was in her studio working with leather.  You can see and purchase her products at her etsy shop.  

Here is a carved piece of leather on  Karen's worktable.  She showed me all the tools she works with to create her designs.

Karen's custom leather clothing and handbags.  These are absolutely beautiful! The leather has such a soft feel to it.

My next stop was across the street at Person to Person Gallery.  I met Roger when I used to have my studio in Siler City.  He is one of the most talented and creative artists I have met and has a wonderful sense of humor.

Roger created these works from instruments he had been given.  They are alive with personality, looking like they are ready for a good party.

This scene greets you to your left as you enter the gallery.  Great combinations and works that make you stop and look.  Though Roger does not consider himself a painter, I am drawn to quite a few of his paintings.  Love the way he combined the three canvases on the wall piece.  The big head flying the plane is priceless!

Yes, those are mannequin legs holding up that giraffe in his own special chair. Great!

These houses are Roger's current project.  Love the way they tilt creating a sense of whimsy.

As if one gallery is not enough to keep him busy, Roger's second gallery is kitty corner across the street from Person to Person.

At the Wingnut Gallery are more of Roger's paintings.  I have loved that rabbit since the first time I saw it.  I just really like all the colors in these works.  They make me happy!  I may need to save up some more money for my art addiction.

Meet "Rasta Man".  This is an amazing piece.  The animal skull, pipes for arms, and Roger even felted the dreads himself.  Just great use of various objects to create art.

Take some time to explore artists in your area, ask them about their process, savor the joy artists bring to others through their art and have a great day.        

No comments:

Post a Comment