Saturday, May 25, 2013


"Through the Cherry Blossoms", 18" X 60" in progress,  Lori LaBerge  2013

It felt good to get back to having wool and a hook in my hands.  "Through the Cherry Blossoms" is coming along nicely and will make a beautiful wall hanging. The only thing bothering me right now is the white line at the top as it appears to be too close to the top of the dark center vertical line.  I'll wait until the piece is done to see if I should change this or not.

I did run out of one of the grays I was using and spent some time at the dye pot. This is one of my favorite grays.  Green, brown and gray dyes were spotted over natural wool.  It has a rich suede look to it.  I will continue hooking the section with this color on Monday.

The journal activity this week turned into a larger project.  I have been wanting to do a project with recycling ever since eyeing some wood pallets that were used in building the new studio. After sitting down and staring at one of the pallets for a while, an idea finally began. 

Since it was a recycling project I pulled an old copy of "The Sun Also Rises" off the bookshelf and headed to the studio to search through my bins of leftover wool.  The idea was to collage  pages of the book onto the pallet then place strips of wool in yellow and red to depict the idea of a sunrise.

Here is the pallet with painting in progress.  I knew I wanted a white striped area in between the red slats.  If you know me or have been reading the blog for a while, you know there had to be a stripe in this somewhere.  On the top of the pallet you can see the beginning of tacking wool strips to the pallet itself.

A close-up of the wool strips which were glued and tacked to red section of pallet.

Close-up of passages of book cut out and glued to white section of pallet.

"Sunrise",  39 1/2"  X  48", Lori LaBerge  2013

Here is the finished project hanging on the wall.  The only problem with the pallet use is you can see through it, so you have to be careful of the color wall it is hung on.  I learned quite a bit through this project:

I need to study up on types of glue for collage work on wood and get better at having the paper sit completely flat with no wrinkles.  I like a rough look and did not sand the pallet first.  If I had done so I may have had better luck with the paper being flat.

It is difficult to cut wool into a perfect rectangular shape.  I am used to tearing wool for rug hooking and did so with this project.  The wool seemed to stretch slightly as it was glued to the wood.  I tended to like the not so perfect look.

It takes time to come up with a concept.  I wanted to work with more than color and the book was something that gave the piece a theme to work with leading to the sunrise look for the wool sections.

I would like to work on this concept in hooked wool.  Though I enjoyed laying down the strips of wool cloth, I missed the hooking process.

Find what you have around to recycle, veer from your chosen art field to explore others, see how those other fields can be applied to your field and have a great day.


With the wind and rain letting up, some progress was made on the new studio this week.  Below is the work done on the front porch entry area.  If you look closely, you can see my husband working on the roofing.

No comments:

Post a Comment