Saturday, May 4, 2013

GUEST BLOG: INSPIRATION FROM A BATTLESHIP



Guest Blog this week is from Kami LaBerge, Lori’s daughter and newly relocated Californian. She majored in Art History before pursuing a graduate degree in Library Science. Kami now works happily as a graphics and research consultant for a Santa Monica law firm.


Some of my fondest childhood memories are of family trips to Wilmington during which we would tour the retired battleship USS North Carolina. During our tours, Lori and I would always end up contemplating the aesthetic values of various parts of the ship, regardless of whether we had any idea as to their functions. The stark contrast of the metal ship and machinery with naval ropes fascinated us.

I was ecstatic, then, to learn another battleship, the USS Iowa, has made its home in the Port of Los Angeles. I took a tour and again found myself engrossed in the aesthetics of the ship. With Lori’s recent introduction of metal into her art, I couldn’t help but wish she were with me to find inspiration from the ship.


Oddly enough, as I was reviewing my photographs, I found a few that reminded me of Lori’s work.


Both the color scheme and a circular object against wooden slats were reminiscent of Lori’s RiverRocks 2.


I remember being drawn to the doorway-like shape in Lori’s Southern Flight.  I could imagine myself stepping out of that doorway and seeing what I perceive to be a landscape on the right side of the piece – blue sky, blue waters, and a beach leading into the hills. The shape of these doorways on the USS Iowa is quite similar – I can imagine stepping out of those doors on the open ocean to a view of the California coast and mountains.


Lori has been experimenting with gray colors – perhaps this is why so many of my photos reminded me of her art. The aptly-termed “battleship gray” was the main focus of my photographs.

Remember that you can find inspiration anywhere from stunning vistas to rusty staples. Take some time out of your week to visit a new attraction in your own town. You may find that inspiration or simply discover something that reminds you of a faraway loved one.

Have a lovely week! I’ll be back next week with photos and discussion from my upcoming trip to the Los Angeles Craft and Folk Art Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment