Saturday, May 11, 2013

GUEST BLOG: MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, LA

Sadly, the Craft and Folk Art Museum in LA was closed this weekend in preparation for a new exhibition. I opted instead to go to the the Museum of Contemporary Art, or MOCA, on Grand Avenue in Downtown LA.


Many of the permanent works in MOCA's collection are, in a word, iconic.


 Works by Mark Rothko appear as colorful giants in one room.


The Rothko room leads into an equally large space with the monochrome works of Franz Kline.


I love the simplicity of these works by Piet Mondrian and Jasper Johns.

 

Pieces by Robert and Lee Krasner pop against the white gallery walls.

MOCA's current exhibition is a large, chilling grouping of work by Swiss artist Urs Fischer. The landscape of the exhibition is unpredictable; the variety of media in which Fischer works is astounding. You can learn more about Fischer and the exhibition on MOCA's website.

Fischer's work at MOCA is a collection of comical skeletal figures, harsh metal surfaces, imitations of white appliances, and soft blue raindrops. The work is surrounded by stark white walls with rough holes seemingly punched out of them by wrecking balls.




I ended my tour of MOCA in the courtyard where I'd begun. I was amused to see one of Fischer's skeletons admiring himself in a mirror.


Take some time this week to explore an art venue in your own town, whether it be a large museum or a small gallery. Have fun and have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful paintings exhibition. I love your blog paintings. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would like to thank guest blogger, Kami LaBerge, for her great work while I was away.

      Delete
  2. I have visited to this museum last summer during my vacation. Really so interesting and beautiful artwork i seen there. Thanks for sharing this blog.
    Contemporary painter

    With regards
    Jose manuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jose. Los Angeles is full of beautiful art.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see this awesome art work here. The paintings are beautiful and I truly loved them. My friend is also a great artist and is planning to participate in an art show that will be soon arranged at one of event space San Francisco. Will surely attend the show to see her painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The works are truly wonderful. Hope your friend has a great show. Have a great time attending it!

      Delete