Saturday, June 22, 2013

"RURAL/URBAN COMPATIBILITY" HOOKED, COLOR INSPIRATION, STUDIO UPDATE


"Rural/Urban Compatibility"  9 3/4"  X  21 1/2",  Lori LaBerge  2013

We have always lived just outside of a city.  In Vermont, we were near Burlington; in Cary near Raleigh; and in Spruce Pine near Asheville.  I love both the quiet and beauty of the countryside and the vibrancy and activity of the city.  This piece melds the two.

The city section was hooked and whipped separately and placed on top of the gray background creating depth.  It is the best of both worlds.  The piece will be attached to an art board and placed in a floater frame.

My journal work tends to be moving more and more toward small side projects.  An urge came upon me this week to work in yarn. What colors to use?  During the week I saw blue, green, gold and white ... 

in a vintage serape I had found in my parent's basement.


in my son's closet.


on the bookshelf.

and, yes, even in the shower.

After the above photos were pasted into my journal, I decided to attempt weaving again, leading to this:

striped weaving, Lori LaBerge 2013

I love the texture in the white yarn.  It might be fun to hook with some of the wild, novelty yarns that are out there.  I tend to pick up thick yarns for hooking, but have not hooked as often as I would like to with eyelash or similar yarns.  I also would like to hook around a woven piece, thus combining the two.


Speaking of yarn, I was told by a friend of Melina White that she now has New Zealand yarns for sale at Seal Harbor Rug Company located in Manchester Center, Vermont.  There is a beautiful color selection on the site.  Makes me want to take out the old rug punch.  The company also offers hooked rug cleaning and repair, which is getting harder and harder to find.  Since I was born and raised in Vermont, I may just have to order some yarn to support Vermont business.

And look what I found at the newsstand after making the weaving:

Blue, green, white and gold.  I guess I am up to date on my colors.  Elle Decor is a great magazine for both color and decor ideas.  Love their modern angle.

Become aware of the colors in your surroundings, use them in other aspects of your life (art, clothing, dishes, decor, etc.) and have a great day.

STUDIO UPDATE:


We now have doors!

and a weather vane on the roof of the studio porch.  Yes, that is a turkey up there as our home is called Wild Turkey Lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment