Saturday, July 20, 2013

"ROUNDABOUT' IN PROGRESS, WRITING AN ARTIST STATEMENT

It felt good to get home and have wool strips flowing through my fingers.  I am continuing work on the road series which is officially named "The Roads We Travel". 


 "Roundabout"  in progress,  20 X 20 Lori LaBerge  2013

The hooking is done on "Roundabout" and I am looking forward to the embellishment phase where I will be adding washers to the piece.  A trip to the local hardware stores to find a 3" washer to be placed in the center of the "roundabout" led to disappointment. 

Reverting to the internet, I found one at McMaster-Carr.  I have used this site before as it is a great source of odd materials such as heavyweight felt, screws, rivets, bolts, pipes, mesh, foam etc.  Just looking at the various items gives me ideas for projects.  When my washer arrives I will be back to working on this piece and remembering the many experiences my husband and I had driving through the multi-lane roundabouts in Great Britain.

I will be applying to an exhibit soon and found that my artist statement needed to be revamped.  This became my journal activity for the week.

An old artist statement that, quite frankly, needs to be redone.

Taking the time to write an artist statement allows for a review of where you are and where you are going with your work.  I would recommend it for all artists, whether professional or hobbyist.  When creating works there are sometimes things happening with your thoughts you do not realize until you write things down.  It can help you to find if you are focused or still experimenting with your work.

A statement takes time.  Do you want a general statement on your work or do you want to focus the statement on a particular series?  Does it flow easily?  That is, does it jump around or does one paragraph lead into the other? Is it clear and understandable to those who do not know "art speak"?

  Take the time to develop your thoughts for your statement.

Do not try to include your life story in a statement.  Personally, when writing one for myself or reading someone else's I prefer it be kept on the shorter side unless otherwise requested. Try to include how your work is done (technique, medium), how the work came about, why you are creating it, and what you hope this work accomplishes. 

Here is the 3rd pass of the statement I am working on:

Texture is a large part of my life. As a child I loved wrapping myself in the silken comforter given to me by my grandmother. Today, I revel in curling up in a warm, soft blanket and enjoying a relaxing evening. When in the studio I am surrounded by bolts of wool, rug hooks, hooking frames, packets of dye and the freedom to create.

"The Roads We Travel" series began with an exploration of everyday travel routes. This thought evolved into exploring my feelings about travel and how it affects me. Some days I spend a majority of my time on the road, other days I find myself making quick trips here and there. I drive on little traveled country roads and high-traffic city roads.

Many of the experiences I have on the road relate to my life in general. I have hit speed bumps on the roadway as well as on the road of life. I find myself making u-turns, yielding to others and, some days, traveling in circles trying to find my own personal direction.

My hope is for individuals to not just think of getting from point A to point B, but to explore how their travels pertain to their life. 

The statement should encourage others to explore your work, but not tell them how to feel about the work.  Each person may experience the work in a different way and that is what art is all about.

Explore how you feel about art you create or view, read various artist statements (everyone's idea of how one is done will vary) and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment