Saturday, August 17, 2013

HOOKING COMPLETED, SAUDER VILLAGE AND MEETING RUG HOOKERS ON THE INTERNET

The hooking on "Coastal Route" was completed this week.  


"Coastal Route"  20 X 20  Lori LaBerge  2013

This piece ended up with the feel I was going for.  Though it may seem like all the lines and squares would make it busy, the color palette of grays and blues give it a calm and serene feel.  It is the feeling I have when we are driving along the ocean, taking in the salty air and watching the waves slowly come upon the shore and fade into the sand beneath.  I find myself longing for a trip to the coast.

I have been trying to tell stories with "The Roads We Travel' series.  It can be a difficult thing to do with geometric abstracts.  During the creation process I wonder "Will viewers understand the work?",  "Will viewers be able to tell their own story through my work?", and "Are these roads the viewer has also traveled, whether literally or emotionally?"  I hope to be able to improve on this aspect as the series progresses.  Every series is full of challenges.


  "Bump and Grind"  18 X 24  Lori LaBerge  2013, created for "The Moods of Color and Value" curated by Susan Feller.

The internet always surprises me.  In January of 2012, I was contacted by Susan Feller after she saw my work in a "Pushing the Limits" exhibit.  We have been in contact ever since.  

Susan is a wonderful friend.  She is one of the most encouraging people I have ever had the pleasure of communicating with and her contemporary pieces show the breadth of her creativity.   Recently, her work was juried into 7Stitch, a show at Morehead State University.  Susan is talented in creating both traditional and contemporary work.

Last August, Susan contacted me to participate in "The Moods of Color and Value", currently on exhibit at Sauder Village, with eight other artists. We each chose a color and created a piece encompassing our emotional reaction to that color.  My choice was orange and my first reaction was movement.  This led to the idea of dancing torsos. I used the lyrics of Nat King Cole's "Orange Colored Sky" to bring in green polka dots and purple stripes.

 An orange colored sky across the field in front of our house.  Gotta love living here!

I've been in contact through the internet just this past week with Jen Lavoie.  There was recently a class reunion site set up for our 35th high school reunion.  I placed a post and Jen contacted me.  35 years!  I could not believe she was a rug hooker! She is show chair for the Green Mountain Rug Hooking Guild, has won awards for her work,  and has had her rugs photographed for books.    

Jen is a true artist.  Her work is realistic with wonderfully blended colors and depth. She brings an emotion to her works that gives a feeling of being in the scene she has depicted.  Her work has been shown at the Cooley Gallery and more works can be seen here.

Enjoy the wonderful talents of others, connect, let your common interests bring you together and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I love your Coastal Route rug! I tried the line exercise you suggested and was amazed at the results. I may find a rug in those little drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad the exercise led to some ideas for you. Don't hesitate to e-mail me with what you come up with. I would love to see where it led you.
      Lori

      Delete