Saturday, October 19, 2013

MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY EXHIBIT "A FINE LINE: CONTEMPORARY DRAWING"

I rarely get the chance to travel and see my work on exhibit.  It is usually shipped out then shipped back after the show with my not getting the chance to see it on display next to the work of others.  This week I made a trip to Kentucky for the opening reception of "A Fine Line: Contemporary Drawing" at the Claypool-Young Art Gallery at Morehead State University.  Here is a tour for you:


One thing I love about exhibits is meeting people.  There are always a surprising variety of individuals enjoying the artwork.

Here is Rural/Urban Compatibility on exhibit with the felt work "Trace" by Roman Arevalo above it.

"11.25.12  10 a.m." by Erin Wiersma
The sheer size of this (84" X 60") makes it a very commanding piece and the use of black and white adds drama.

"WORD-e" by Leslie Hirst
I love the way the shadow becomes part of the piece.  Leslie used hand-written letters along with telephone directories.  The piece uses lace making methods to stitch it together.

  "Hillside View" by Christopher Troutman
This work mesmerized me.  It really made me want to be there relaxing and enjoying the view.  Love all the lines, detail and shading.

 Detail of upper right corner of "Hillside View"


"Remnants" by Jennifer Hand
I always love when artists paint or draw fabric, the folds, the shadows and the textures. The element of stitching that was done around the middle cutout adds a story to the piece. Are remnants that have been saved being pulled out from the cutout or are leftover remnants being thrown away?

"Remains" by Samara Rosen
I have a thing for objects that are deteriorating or decaying.  I especially love old buildings that have been deserted.  This just had that deteriorating feel for me, yet it also seemed to be stretching out as if searching for something, as if what we are left with is a search for meaning.

Detail of  "Remains"

"Despair" by Gabrielle Monk
This piece was a combination of patterns and repetition.  The figure had a vein type pattern running through it, head down in despair while the cat looks on.  The side walls (or curtains) appear to be actual bits of fiber but are in reality drawn and dripped with India ink.

Detail of "Despair"

I hope you enjoyed viewing some of the works that were displayed.

Seek out art in your area and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment