Saturday, March 29, 2014

PREPARING FOR JUNE STUDIO TOUR, CREATING A PORTFOLIO

As the month of April will be spent mostly on the road, I am getting an early start on preparations for the Toe River Studio Tour in June.  Since everything has been moved from the old studio, the new studio is in a bit of disarray with boxes everywhere.  I did, however, manage a bit of organization this week.

Monday was spent on more finishing work.


"Ocean Surf"  10 X 10 framed size,  Lori LaBerge  2014

The edges were whipped with three shades of blue.  A dark fabric was used for the background as it showed off the colors in this work better than the light gray background I used on a piece shown in last week's post.  



I purchased a small sideboard for display purposes and storage.  Since red is my accent color in the studio, this was perfect.


Tuesday was spent starting display.  I'm working one wall at a time.  This area will show some of the smaller items that will be for sale.  I'm looking at various types of blinds and curtains to protect the fiber work from the sun.  When working, I will use the bar on the right for hanging wool, wall hangings, etc.  I am also deciding which type of hanging system to put in the studio so I do not have to keep patching nail holes.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent unpacking some boxes and hooking a little more on "Red Light in the City".  Yes, this piece will be done the hooking process next week.  It has taken a little longer than normal to finish this piece due to work on the new studio and preparations for April trips.

Friday was spent on paperwork.  I also decided it was time to redo my portfolio, which had photos of quite a bit of older work in it.  I replaced all the sheets with the "Road Series", some of the "Stripe Series" and newer figurative work.

Since at least two of the galleries where I had work have closed this past year, I will be looking for new ones as I increase my inventory.  Everything is cohesive.  This portfolio, for example , includes geometric abstract and figurative abstract.  It does not include any of my plein air or landscape works as they are different from my abstract work and would create confusion for the gallery as to whether I was an abstract or landscape artist. 

A portfolio is a way for gallery owners to quickly look through work to see if it is of interest of them.  Photos of work come first.  Think about where you click first on an artist's website.  I would bet it is their gallery of work.

I include a photo of the work, the title, my name, the size and whether mounted or framed, the technique and the price.  It is important to make it as easy as possible for the gallery to see information.  I put the price up front as I remember finding it annoying to look through portfolios with a price list at the back.  Looking back and forth wastes time.  Some disagree with me on this and like to be more discreet with pricing.

Sample page from portfolio.  


I sometimes create a separate portfolio for visitors to the studio which may have a price list at the back.  If they are interested in purchasing a piece, they can find the price, but it is not up front preventing them from focusing on the work.  I place my resume, artist statement and bio at the back of the portfolio.  If you like, you can include clips on your work from newspapers or magazine articles.

If you are not selling, it is still important to keep a record of your work.  You may want to do yearly portfolios or simply one large one for personal use.  Include any information you think you or others may find of interest.  For a personal portfolio, you may want to include your inspiration for a piece, why you did it, any difficulties you encountered in creating the work, etc.  It is a wonderful feeling to look through it years later or have it for family members to browse through. 

Create a photo record of your work, enjoying browsing through it and have a great day.   

2 comments:

  1. Lori, thanks for a peek at your portfolio. I have not seen too many for rug hookers and appreciate the nice clean look of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jean. I've followed the same layout for years. Guess I can't keep away from minimalism. :)

    ReplyDelete