Saturday, July 5, 2014

MIXED-MEDIA IN PROGRESS, READING ART HISTORY, FOLK ART CENTER

It was a short week with paperwork done on Monday and taking Friday off for the 4th.  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  

As yet untitled work in progress,  Lori LaBerge, 7 1/2" X  41 1/2", 2014

I used photos and sketches (information on last week's post) to come up with the basic design.  The photo of the Coats American Inc. building  and sketches were abstracted. Though the hooking is one long piece, I divided the design into two sections with each being a different section of the building.  Some of the detailed work was hooked in this week.  Lots of bright colors in this one!

You can see each end has a fold mark.  The ends will be wrapped around old wooden bobbin spools to create a horizontal scroll effect for presentation of the work.  This means allowing at least 6 extra inches on each end for wrapping.  These areas will still need to be hooked as they will show, so I will just carry the design out on each end.

With some time off for the holiday, I decided to review past study on Modern Art History.  

History of Modern Art by H.H. Arnason, the link is to the updated version.

Searching through the bookshelves, I found my college textbook to be in pretty good shape. I can't believe I used to lug that around in a backpack along with other texts. It's quite heavy. The Modern art period runs from the 1860's to the 1970's.  Some books state the Modern period started as early as 1784.  Work after the Modern period is considered Contemporary.

Since Impressionism is at the start of the Modern period, I have decided to brush up on my French.  I have forgotten pretty much all but the basics from my college days and have decided to focus on reading french for art purposes and forgo the speaking aspect.  My plan is to read some French art magazines and I really have no one to actually speak French with.

  French for Reading by Karl C. Sandberg was recommended to me and should arrive Tuesday.  It will be interesting to see how much I remember.

Since I haven't studied extensively on Expressionism and Germany was at the forefront of this movement, I am also planning on studying the German language. My husband lived in Germany for a 9-month period a while back, so maybe he can help me out with this. 

Reading Knowledge in German for Art Historians and Archaeologists by Mary L. and H.P. Apelt.  This is an expensive book so I am still looking around for the best price.

My husband and I took a ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend and stopped to look around the Southern Highlands Folk Art Center.


There was quite a bit of textile art on display, but unfortunately, they did not allow photos inside the building.  Quilting and weaving were well-covered and it was interesting to see the different approach in style each artist took.  One artist focused on the Morse Code system and developed it in her weaving which I found fascinating.  Dyeing technique was the focus of another artist's work.  I do wish more of these artists had websites.  I see artwork when I am out and about and may not purchase at that time.  I very often go home to look up artists' work and am so often disappointed that they have no site.  

       
If you are ever traveling along the Blue Ridge, the Folk Art Center is well worth the stop.

Art leads me to so many places:  studying languages and history, stopping by new galleries and art centers and exploring new areas for inspiration.  Find where it leads you and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment