Saturday, July 12, 2014

PROGRESSION ON ABSTRACT, ADJUSTING OR CHANGING ARTWORK


Untitled abstract in progress,  Lori LaBerge 2014

I've been working on the background of the piece this week.  Since it is made up of various blues with navy, turquoise and pure blue, I have been placing variations of each to add more interest rather than leaving each section solid.  Work will continue this coming week.

If any of you have been reading the blog regularly you may have spotted some differences in works that were previously thought to be completed.  I have never hesitated to look at a piece and change it if I feel the change could better the work.  

Just a note here to let you know to never change a work that has been accepted to a show or had a photograph of it sent to apply to a show.  When applying, the photo you send must accurately reflect the work.

"Coastal Route" before adjustments,  Lori LaBerge 2014
I had used clear thread to attach the washers in "Coastal Route".  The more I looked at it, the more it bothered me, as if it needed something more. 

 "Coastal Route" after adjustments, Lori LaBerge 2014
I removed the clear thread and replaced it with dark gray yarn.  This added more contrast and color and to me just looked better overall.  The washers now blend in with the design of the piece adding to it rather than just laying on top of the hooked work.


"Road Movie"  before adjustments,  Lori LaBerge  2014
Another piece that was changed a little more drastically is "Road Movie".  Again, I had used clear thread.  The piece looked a little too static for me.  I wanted the washers to better portray movie reels as they were moving.

"Road Movie" after adjustments, Lori LaBerge 2014
I removed all the washers.  The smaller washers were then staggered on various areas of the larger washers to portray movement.  Dark gray yarn was used to attach the washers to the hooked work.  A small screw nut was stitched onto the lower right so the metal would not overwhelm and make the left side seem heavy.

Before changing anything decide why you want to change it and if it really needs changes. Plan out the changes. Decide what types of changes could make the piece better.  Does something need to be added or would it look better if something were removed?  Older pieces can sometimes be revived and given new life when reworked.  Could you possibly use an older piece as part of a new work?  There are infinite possibilities.

Embrace experiencing change and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment