Saturday, May 2, 2015

PLEIN AIR RUG HOOKING, SAUDER VILLAGE EXHIBIT


"Coleus I"  8" x 8", Lori LaBerge  2015

We saw snow, wind and a couple of beautiful days while up in Vermont.  I took advantage of the nice days to sift through my stash of wool I had brought with me. The coleus were out at the garden center and I couldn't resist.  I always carry plenty of greens for plein air work, browns, black and white for neutrals and, luckily, had some pinks with me.  

The piece was done over a two day period.  I worked about 5 hours each day.  The most time seemed to be spent finding the right colors to use.  This seems to be the most difficult part of plein air.  It is very different from color planning in the studio and being ready to hook away.  It is more a process of having the basics available and color planning as you hook.

"Coleus I" framed , Lori LaBerge  2015

This piece will go to Sauder Village Rug Hooking Week in a special exhibit by the Plein Air Hooking Artists.  Artists represented in the exhibit will include Laura Pierce, Susan Feller, Patricia Winans, Jo Franco, Michele Phillips, Jean Ottosen and myself.  All have been busy exploring the process of plein air as we will each be creating two pieces.  If you are near Sauder Village from August 12-15, please check out our exhibit along with all the other rug work on display.  Our website can be seen here.

Work was started on a second piece which will be done in the studio.  

A plan for the piece was sketched out.  The work will be 8" x 25".


The sketch was placed into Photoshop to be color planned.  The printout of the colors can be seen on the right in the photo above.  I then drew out the sketch on linen.

Some colors were chosen off the shelf.  A stronger pink along with a few other hues will need to be dyed. 

  "Missing Windows" in progress,  36" x 60",  Lori LaBerge  2015

Work is also continuing on "Missing Windows" with more dark green strips of wool being added for more contrast and more light blue hooked in.    

Enjoy the spring weather, try working plein air or sketching out some ideas from nature and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment