Saturday, August 29, 2015

HOOKED TEXTILE WORK, ART INTERPRETATIONS

"Bridging the Gap"  Lori LaBerge  2015

Someone once said that a piece of art is never finished until it is sold.  I am finding this to be very true lately as I add to, subtract from or alter pieces I am working on.

This week "Bridging the Gap" was framed and the two pieces connected with metal bars. The original plan was to have the "bridge" go straight across.  As I was connecting the two sections, I really liked the shift that was created by pushing the smaller piece upward.  The work is movable so the pieces may be shifted up and down at various angles.  I enjoy the idea of someone being able to alter this piece to their liking and not necessarily to my intention or point of view.


This thought led me to researching point of view or interpretations related to artwork.  I think art should lead us to think.  To think about artist intent, to think about how we view the artwork and how these two thoughts are or are not related and why.  To think about art we simply enjoy for the beauty of it and art we connect to due to the message it sends.  We all approach art from our own past experiences.  What may mean something to one person may have no bearing whatsoever on another.  

When I find myself viewing a piece of artwork I don't understand I often ask myself what I am missing about the artist's intent or what I personally could derive from viewing the work. 

The majority of artwork I have collected is because it said something to me.

"Shadows in the Alley" by Bruce Docker
This is a piece I just had to have the minute I saw it.  The architectural lines and my love of old buildings drew me to it.  There is a bit of mystery with what is lurking in the alleyway.  What awaits when you enter places that few people go?


 Hooked vessel by Molly Colegrove
The hand shapes attracted me to this work.  It is almost as it they are reaching for something they can't quite get to.  There are six hands, each touching another at some point.  It reminds me of family and how though we are separated at times, we are still always together reaching out to each other.

 "Red" by Louise Oppenheimer
Red is such a vibrant color and yet there is the calm of floating leaves, some attached to others, some separated.  It is the calm within the excitement that draws me to this work making me believe that even in times of chaos the calm will prevail.

 "Quasimodo" by Woody Higgins
 "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is one of my favorite novels and there is a chapter dedicated to the description of the cathedral which I've read over and over again.  There is also the view of the admiration of old architecture and the character's perception that the newly renovated cathedral does not even compare to the style the original projected.  This goes along with my own love of historic architecture.

Think about what draws you to certain works of art, determine how you could try to better understand those works you have trouble interpreting and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment