Saturday, September 26, 2015

PLEIN AIR STUDIO WORK COMPLETED, NEW ABSTRACT DESIGNS

 "Nesting"  14 1/2" X 19 1/2",  Lori LaBerge  2015

The piece above was created from outdoor notes taken while viewing a hornet's nest.  I noted the temperature, lighting, colors, values, weather and surroundings. It was a beautiful sunny day, with the sun shining brightly on the nest itself and creating a sparkle of colors on the tree bark and background foliage.  

I took some liberties with color and exaggerated the yellow green background while adding other colors to create a sparkle appearance and give the feel of the joy I felt while viewing the scene before me.  A viewfinder helped me to decide on the composition itself. I had also hooked a smaller 5x7 version of the nest itself which I referred to.

The rest of the week was spent packing materials for a class on plein air that will be taught at the TIGHR conference in Victoria, British Columbia and creating a couple of new designs.  As we will be headed to Vermont not long after the conference, I decided to get a jump on designs to have them ready for color planning and packing to work on while on the road.

As yet untitled,  approx. planned size will be 20" x 36", Lori LaBerge  2015

I am beginning to experiment more with shapes.  I am interested in how they add to a work and affect the overall viewing of a piece.  There will need to be planning for how the work will be mounted as areas will protrude beyond the typical art board size I will be using. This is always a challenge, but a welcome one as I have the chance to learn how construction works with odd shaped pieces.  The work will be part of the connection series and each section will be connected with metal rods.

  "U-Turn", approx. planned size  19" x 30",  Lori LaBerge  2015

This work is planned as a wall hanging.  The upper section will protrude further out than the bottom.  It is based on dirt and tarred roads.  The more my husband and I drive out on the country roads, the more I am noticing partially tarred areas of road reverting back to dirt sections.  Sometimes we end up turning around as the roads are either private, dead end, or washed out and too treacherous to drive on.

A sample of some of the colors chosen for the U-Turn piece.

I'm excited to get started on these works as well as a previously planned piece. These will be in addition to working on landscape pieces for the 2016 exhibit.  

Plan out some pieces ahead of time so you have the next project to look forward to and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment