Saturday, October 31, 2015

"U-TURN" ABSTRACT TEXTILE IN WORKS, PAPER ART FROM CRAFT AND FOLK ART MUSEUM IN LOS ANGELES

"U-Turn" in progress,  Lori LaBerge  2015

It felt good to be back in the studio after two and a half weeks of teaching and traveling.  I was home long enough to pack up some wool, transfer some designs to linen and head out on the road to Vermont for three weeks. 

While here in Vermont, I'm finding time to get quite a bit of hooking done so I'm crossing my fingers that the colors I brought will work.  I'll be headed down to my Dad's workbench to see if he has some metal pieces for use.  If not, a trip to the local salvage shop or hardware store will be in order.

As noted in last week's blog, we visited the Craft and Folk Art Museum while in Los Angeles.  The Paperworks exhibit was on display and showcased creative and innovative techniques for paper cutting and manipulation.

We were greeted by a wonderful palette of color as we entered the exhibit room.

Work by Tam Van Tran.  I loved the way this was a wall piece, yet had a real sculptural quality to it.  It forced the viewer to look closer to see how the overall effect was created.  The use of line and shape attracted me.

Close-up of Tam Van Trans's work.  Note how the hole punches create lines throughout the work.  The use of staples gives the work a shine and glow from a distance.

I felt like I was entering a whole other world viewing Chris Natrop's "Of night and light and the half-light".  The cut-out work was intricate and complex leading me to prolong my entry into the artist's creation.  A projector shone patterns on the back wall leading one beyond the paper work as if entering a jungle.  String formed lines throughout the work.

"In our Image" by Susan Sironi.  I don't know the artists intention with this piece but I took away our sense of complexity, uniformity at times and our eventual demise.  It would be interesting to hear how others perceive this work.  I like how what seems so simple can be very thought-provoking.  

"Red Whirl" and "White Whirl" by Echiko Ohira.  These were like nests one could curl up in to feel safe and secure, yet while the white feels calm the red carries some tension with it.  The thickness and sturdy appearance of these surprised me.

One of many paper-crete pieces by Tim Gratkowski.  I love the combination of the hardness of the concrete with the pliability of paper.  It looks as if the paper could continue emerging from the concrete forever.

Through viewing this exhibit I learned so much about the possibilities of manipulating paper to form artworks.  Think of the possibilities of textile manipulations in creating future works and have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete