Saturday, June 18, 2016

SCULPTURAL WORK, WHEN IS AN ARTWORK DONE

"Chamber" in progress,  Lori LaBerge  2016.  Rug hooked upholstery, industrial felt, metal, yarn

The deck was the perfect place to work this week as the weather was beautiful when we returned from Vermont.  Lately we've had a black bear, deer, baby turkeys and a variety of colorful birds in the field. We've also been keeping an eye on our local raccoon as she is expecting little ones soon.

"Chamber" is beginning to take shape.  I am again allowing for the natural drape of the industrial felt.  

A close-up shows the variety of ways materials are being manipulated.

There were two questions I was asked repeatedly during the studio tour.  The first was how I decide on what to place in the sculpture pieces.  While I plan out the general design of a piece, I do not plan out embellishments.  They tend to evolve as the work progresses.  The studio is stocked with a good variety of metal and yarns to choose from.  

I tend to place various metal pieces on the work to see what works aesthetically.  The number, size and color is taken into account.  I work in a subtraction method by placing a ton of items on the piece and taking some away until what is left looks right for the size of the work.  This gives me plenty of choices rather than constantly having to grab something from the shelf.  This does not mean that other items may not be added later.  

Fishing sinkers and chain painted and waiting to be stitched to the work.

The second question was how I know when a work is done.  I think this is subjective. The mistake I most often see with beginners is work being overdone.  Focusing on one thought or making more than one piece for multiple thoughts can prevent this. 

When I feel that adding anything else will detract from the work or overpower it, I know it is time to stop.  I look at composition to see if any changes need to be made. Does anything look off balance?  Is there enough variety of shape or is the piece intentionally repetitive? Do colors and values work? 

Is the point of the piece getting across?  This is more for me than the viewer.  The viewer may get something totally different from the work than I do.  More often than not, people look at my work and see something I hadn't thought of before.  That is when I really enjoy the individuality of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment