Saturday, July 2, 2016

BACK TO GEOMETRICS, GREEN MOUNTAIN RUG SCHOOL CLASS


Section 1 of "Directions" unfinished,  10" x 10"   Lori LaBerge  2016

It feels great to get back to my geometric work.  Though I love the landscapes and sculptures I've been working on, my heart belongs to geometrics.  Shape, color and line are my main interests.  

While working on this piece, it suddenly hit me where the design derived from.  It has been a stressful time lately.  Funerals, my mother's Alzheimers, exhibits to ready for, and learning new technology among other things life throws at us.  The piece really signifies not just the physical directions of roadways, but the various directions life pulls us in.

Section 2 of "Directions" unfinished,  10" x 10"  Lori LaBerge  2016

Two of the sections have completed the hooking phase and still need metal added along with edges finished.  The final work will be a quadriptych (four pieces placed together to form one artwork).

One of the last two sections in progress

I am also working on putting a class together for Green Mountain Rug School.  The class will be "The Art of Plein Air" held from June 17-20, 2017.

In class, we will discuss how working outdoors through sketching, note taking and photography can help improve our studio work.  Color, lighting and composition will be looked at through exercises.  We will also learn how to translate what we see outdoors into realistic, abstract and surreal works.  Experimentation will be encouraged.  All styles are welcome. 

 "Surrealism" put out by Phaidon books

Since the term Plein Air was brought to us by the French, we will experience wine, Perrier and French cookies while we begin creating our own works.  I can hardly wait!

I would love to have you join me at this wonderful venue.  You can register for class here.

I also took a ride over to Little Switzerland and stopped at Charlies Quilts and Sew Much More shop.  A warm welcoming atmosphere and great baskets from Ghana.  I loved the bright contemporary colors. Here's mine:




Art exercise:

Search the web for artwork made up of separate pieces (dyptychs, triptychs, quadriptychs, etc) and think about how you might create your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment