Saturday, October 29, 2016

IF YOUR STUCK, REMEMBER WHAT YOUR ART IS ABOUT

 
  Work in progress,  Lori LaBerge  2016

Hooking continued on the body of an abstract piece. I went through quite a bit of thinking deciding how to deal with the head of the figure  I tried various ideas and found myself veering away from my usual aesthetic. In the end, I knew I had to go back to my initial vision. 

Design work,  Lori LaBerge  2016

Why did I temporarily veer away? Stress? Fear? Confusion? I had more sketch pad paper in the circular file than I've ever had before.  Enough.

I wrote down on paper what my art is about. Clean strong use of line, geometry and pattern.  I also like a sense of place, how we move along the roads of life. This put me right back on track and led to the use of a triangle shape in the back of the circle. This was opposed to all the frilly designs I had tried to create.  What was I thinking?

Taking time to stop and focus led to a better design.

I also made a trip to the hardware store with some sculptures in mind.

I picked up two types of connectors

This is an idea of how I may use industrial felt with one of the connectors. I am currently playing with ideas using scraps of felt and deciding what other materials will be added.

Another idea with a different style of connector.  

I'm not sure exactly where these ideas will lead, but I am enjoying this stage of creation.

Art Exercise:

Take notes about your work.  What does it mean? What is your focus? What style do you work in? Do you prefer specific themes? etc. This can be done in paragraph form or by simply making a list. Use this to help you create work that shows viewers who you are as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment