Saturday, November 19, 2016

GIVING A TITLE TO ARTWORK

"Metropolitan" body section hooked and ready for pressing,  Lori LaBerge  2016

With a full week of jury duty, work was limited. I found time in the evening to finish hooking on the body section of the latest work. I also decided to name the piece "Metropolitan".

Titles can be important to viewers and it took me a while to name this work. I like a title that people can relate to and perhaps help them to see something in the work. A title should not give a total explanation of the work, but allow the viewer to experience the piece on their own. 

Close-up of "Metropolitan". Photos allow a better sense of where tweaking is needed, there are a few spots I'll correct

We have been on the road extensively this year and the piece shows the city blocks we have maneuvered along with their corresponding highways and overpasses. Many others have had the same experience. I like that people can recall their own memories of travel through the road pieces I've created.

One title of a work that starts a series can lead to many more. Future titles I have in mind refer to roads we have driven. "Neck of the Woods" from our experiences four-wheeling in our Jeep through the back roads of the mountains is one example. "Pacific Coast Highway", and "Rodeo Drive" will derive from visiting our daughter in the L.A. area. I look forward to delving into the colors that surround each of these areas and incorporating them in the work.

 "Louise Nevelson-Light and Shadow"  by Laurie Wilson

I know very little about Louise Nevelson except that I have loved her work forever and who can resist a woman who dresses like the one on that cover.  I really need to spice up my closet. Anyone for a Louise Nevelson party? Nevelson is known for her monochromatic wall pieces made from wood. I have this weekend all to myself, so I plan on settling down and getting a good chunk of reading in. You can see examples of her work at Artsy.

Art Exercise-
Look over titles you have chosen for your works or look at titles on the internet or in museums.  Do they make you think about the piece, bring back memories or relate to your experiences in any way?

No comments:

Post a Comment