Saturday, January 14, 2017

DOES YOUR ART MAKE YOU HAPPY?

"Cone 2"  in progress, 18" X 18"   Lori LaBerge  2017

This week I was looking thorough my Facebook news feed and spotted a photo of a piece another rug hooker had completed. Her commentary got my attention. She wrote that it made her happy. That made me smile. I love seeing people create work and enjoy some satisfaction from it.  

Does every piece I work on make me happy? No. Some pieces never quite reach where I was headed with them. Some works lead to frustration. Is this time wasted? I don't think so. I think it is time spent learning what works and what doesn't. 

Pearl in her happy place

Often I start on a piece and question myself, then continue and find myself quite happy with it. Why did I question this latest work? I used colors that don't fit my usual palette. I thought about ripping out those colors and starting anew, all the time continuing work on the piece. It started to come together when the browns and rusts were added.

Exciting questions then formed. How will the background look against the colors of the cone?  I thought about past striped work I had done and how working on the cones is leading me to experiment with the size of stripes. How does the size affect the work? Every piece leads to thoughts that push work forward.


I began with the idea of hooking from light to dark in descending order by color, then decided this may be boring and expected. I switched the second and third yellow which drew quite a bit more interest to the work. Now my eye moves through the piece and I think "Oh, that color is not where I expected it to be!" 

Art exercise--
List things about your art that make you happy.  It may be the color palette, it may be the subject matter or it may be what you learned through a certain work and how it pushed you forward. Discover yourself through your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment