Saturday, April 29, 2017

THE ALLURE OF SHADOWS IN ART

In progress work of "Sunrise, Sunset"   Lori LaBerge 2017

Ten shadows measuring 6" X 6" each have been hooked. They now need edge finishing and will be stitched to industrial felt. They will measure 11" X 14" each when completed.

It was not until I began working with plein air studies that I became fascinated with shadows. I did not want to portray them as realistic works. I pictured them as abstract works, important as themselves and not necessarily related to the specific object creating the shadow.

The abstract presentation allows the viewer to imagine what the object was that created the shadow. Some of the squares were created from outdoor sketches and others were chosen from photos I had taken.

Section to be included in "Sunrise, Sunset",  Lori LaBerge  2017

The more I explore grids the more I like the idea of creating multiple small works that are meant to be hung together. This is like gestalt theory where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. These small works become more intriguing to me when placed together. What are their relationships? 

Another question that arises is whether placement matters or not. I believe it does. The squares may be changed from the arrangement above, or they may not. When the work is in the final stages I will decide which pieces will be placed next to others.

Section to be included in "Sunrise, Sunset",  Lori LaBerge  2017

It is important to take photos of work. It gives you another look at what you are creating. The first thing I noticed in the photo of the ten together was that the first two on the top look like a continuation of each other, as do the first bottom two.  Do I want that to happen? If so, why do the others break from that mold? I do like the two cream color works being placed as the first and the tenth works, as if they frame in the rest of the work. 

I will be discussing this subject during the plein air class at Green Mtn. Rug School in June.

Go ahead and explore some shadows, take photos, make sketches and think about their shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment